Have you thought about doing your own hair on your wedding day? With costs spiralling for weddings, sometimes it’s wise to see which areas you might be able to budget in.
Unless you want a really complex hair style that involves twists and curls that only a professional hair stylist could achieve, it might just be possible to style your own hair – or at least ask a trusty friend to help you out.
What Hair Styles Can You Achieve On Your Own?
Of course you still want your hair to look special. It’s always nice to look a little (or a lot) different on your wedding day.
Straightening Your Hair
If you are normally a wavy haired/curly girl you might consider straightening your hair. Getting straight locks is really easy these days too. No longer do you need to get the iron out, like our Mothers did (I know my Mum used to!)
There are different hair straighteners for different hair types, and the one you use will determine how professional your finished look is. The best hair straighteners can be reviewed on Straight Hair Day along with the latest popular hair gadget: the straightening brush.
Just make sure you get used to using the straighteners in advance to see what styles you can achieve with your hair type.
Curling Your Hair
Alternatively, you might have straight hair and decide you want to create a few waves – or go full on curly. Again, nowadays, the best heated rollers are available for all hair types. Get experimenting with the curlers, you can really create some incredible styles that will make you look really different on the big day.
Accessorising Your Hair
You can really change the appearance of your hair style with a simple accessory. A hair clip, bow or band can transform your hair to a really professional looking style. Many high street shops stock hair accessories at really budget friendly prices.
Top Tips For DIY Wedding Hair
- Practise, practise, practise. If you decide to go the DIY route you must spend some time in the weeks/months leading up to your wedding testing out different styles. See how long the style lasts – will it need touching up during the day.
- If you are enlisting the help of a friend or relative make sure they are really up to the challenge. You don’t want any falling out or tension on your wedding morning. Make sure they know how important this is to you. Don’t forget to thank them with either a little present or a favour in return! Make sure they get a special thank you in the speeches too!
- Allow enough time on the day of the wedding. Remember all the other things you will need to be doing to get ready.
- Borrow appliances if you can. Don’t just buy new straighteners or curlers for the day. If you think you will get a lot of use out of them after, or might be able to sell them then fine, go ahead and buy them. But if not, see if you can borrow them from a friend. There is no point in saving money by doing your own hair, only to blow the savings on the appliance!
- Make sure your hair is ready – spend some time preparing it in the months leading up to your wedding.
- Enjoy it!